- 8 oz bacon, coarsely chopped
- 3 pounds effectively-trimmed boneless beef chuck, decrease into 1 1/2-lunge cubes (from 7-bone chuck roast)
- 1/3 cup all motive flour
- 1 1/4 pounds boiling onions, peeled
- 3/4 pound effectively-organized carrots, decrease into 1-lunge objects
- 12 effectively-organized garlic cloves, peeled (left complete)
- 3 cups canned beef broth
- 1/2 cup Cognac or brandy
- 2 750-ml bottles crimson Burgundy wine
- 1 1/4 pounds mushrooms
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh thyme or 2 tablespoons dried
- 1 tablespoon darkish brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Sauté bacon in heavy effectively-organized Dutch oven over high heat until brown and crisp, about 8 minutes. Using slotted spoon, switch bacon to paper towels. Season beef generously with salt and pepper; coat with 1/3 cup flour, the utilization of all of flour. Working in 3 batches, brown beef in identical pot over high heat, about 5 minutes per batch. Transfer meat to effectively-organized bowl. Add onions and carrots to identical pot and sauté until light brown, about 6 minutes. Add garlic and sauté 1 minute. Transfer vegetables to bowl with beef.
- Add 1 cup broth and Cognac to pot; boil until diminished to glaze, scraping up browned bits, about 8 minutes. Return meat and vegetables and their juices to pot. Add wine, mushrooms, thyme, sugar, tomato paste and 2 cups broth. Carry to boil, stirring every once in some time. Duvet pot and command in oven. Cook dinner until beef is gentle, about 1 hour 20 minutes.
- Ladle liquid from stew into effectively-organized saucepan. Spoon off fleshy. Boil liquid until diminished to 2 3/4 cups, about 40 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Pour liquid motivate over beef and vegetables. (Could perchance well moreover be ready 1 day ahead. Duvet and chill.) Rewarm over low heat earlier than serving.