A classic dish perfected. Query your butcher to in the reduction of the meat from the shank into 3/4-toddle cubes.
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 1/2 kilos white onions, halved thru core, thinly sliced crosswise (about 8 cups)
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 tablespoon dried marjoram
- 1 1/2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons Hungarian sweet paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Hungarian hot paprika
- 1 cup white wine vinegar
- 6 cups low-salt rooster broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon peel
- 3 1/2 kilos beef shank meat (from about 4 1/2 kilos beef shanks) or boneless beef quick ribs, in the reduction of into 3/4-toddle cubes
- Heat oil in heavy neat pot over medium high warmth. Add onions and prepare dinner till golden brown and gentle, stirring regularly, about 25 minutes. Add garlic and marjoram; prepare dinner till garlic softens, about 3 minutes. Add tomato paste and prepare dinner till combination begins to flip darkish red, stirring regularly, about 3 minutes. Add every paprikas and wander to mix; steal some distance from warmth and let stand 1 minute for flavors to mix. Add vinegar; wander over medium warmth till with regards to all liquid is absorbed, about 2 minutes. Add broth, bay leaves, and lemon peel; procure greater warmth and carry to boil.
- Sprinkle beef with salt and pepper; add to pot. Simmer over medium-low warmth till beef is tender, stirring every so regularly, about 2 1/2 hours.
- Transfer beef to bowl, leaving onions in pot. Boil sauce in pot till decreased to 5 cups, about 15 minutes. Frigid honest a minute. Working in batches, puree sauce in blender till soft; return to pot. Season with salt and pepper. Return beef to pot. Simmer till heated thru, about 5 minutes. DO AHEAD: Will most likely be made 2 days forward. Frigid honest a minute. Chill uncovered till frosty, then cowl and kick back. Rewarm sooner than serving.
- Constant with the spirit of this menu, pour an Austrian red with the gulasch. The fruity, dapper Feiler-Artinger 2007 Zweigelt ($19) is a honest different.